Sunday, April 17, 2011

Semester in Review: from starting a mission to the "Last Midnight"

DISCLAIMER: Since this is the last post, for now, I am returning to my long post roots.  Enjoy!

Over the semester, I have tried to discover how involved are people on campus.

My intended plans did not exactly come true, but I have had fun through it all.

At the start of the semester, I did not expect to be in a crowded room learning about IRS Criminal investigators, observe people acting out scenes from an anime, and understand both groups as people investing time in what they love, even if photos do not tell the whole story.

I was not expecting to find out a smoker can be inside and not get warned about lung cancer.

I learned goals can be met if one is willing to wait long enough for your voice to develop.

I was able to get introspective and explain who I am and what I believe and display where work.

I was one of the few who took notes at an improv show (and got my suggestions used) after hearing heartfelt music about a developing relationship.

I was able to report on "the varsity sport of the mind" and promote the Taqueria (great value and community, even if your digestive system might not agree.)

I got to drive a golf cart and raise the scoreboard!   I might still feel the strain from that weekend, but the ability to see this campus from a different perspective was definitely worth the risk.

I discussed ASUP Senate Resolution 11-03, (funding the fundraising efforts for the new rec/wellness center from Fall Capital Improvement Fund money for the next three years), running a debate and expressed my views about the Beacon

Though those two entries proved to be among the most popular, I am mixed about my work on each. 

Call me naive but I do not want attention, views or whatever passes for social capital these days through arguments and controversy.  Though I might go into the field of journalism for a career, I want to stand on my own and attempt to build a reputation through what I wrote about 11-03, uncovering facts and pointing out solutions to problems rather than blithely complain about issues.  If I cannot survive in the field without resorting to unsubstantiated viewpoints with limited bias, then I am skeptical of a culture that supports people putting their own goals ahead of their subjects.  Journalism should be about displaying new ideas and perspectives so people can realize the world is full of new and different ideas that can shape their lives, hopefully for the better.

I cannot retract my views from either entry, but I must acknowledge those views were valid at the time of writing.  I will deal with whatever comes from the reaction and if that costs me opportunities, so be it. I will always try to keep the perspective of subjects in mind and remember to aim toward story not opinion (unless the situation somehow requires a sledgehammer instead of a camera.)

Even in that 11-03 post that recieved positive reactions, I feel I got a little too personal and opinionated about the meeting and discussion.  The post might have been able to shed light on the 2010-2011 ASUP Senate experience, but the meeting made me weary, frustrated and bitter toward the senate, democracy and even myself.

Several of my views about this semester can be supported/emulated in the Steven Sondheim production "Into the Woods" which wrapped up its UP run on Sunday the 17th and was profiled over at UP in Theater.
Possibly the only spoiler-free photo I took, unless you did not realize trees exist in the woods.

Warning: some spoilers abound!


Like the main characters, I wished to see how involved people, specifically students, are on campus.  Like Little Red Riding Hood, I strayed from the path, but was able to learn things I never knew before making the journey.

Like the finale "Children Will Listen" points out, children and people will look up to everyone of us and develop plans of action from what they see us do. I feel this blog tried and succeeded every once in a while by showing clubs and activities people would otherwise ignore.  Maybe people will try to start their own club or decide to attend an event or join a club just because the name is odd or for a new experience. 

When I strayed from my original goal, I acted in ways that might have harmed others and have to keep those transgressions in mind to avoid repeating those mistakes. I must always remember people are reading and not always commenting.

What does the future hold for this blog and myself after I leave this wood of supervised writing?

We will have to find out together. I might focus on some things more (ASUP Senate, clubs gone by) and not be as personal.  Depending on what the reader wants, this entity could shift toward crowd-sourced reports about clubs or events or wither away into the digital ether.

I must go for the summer but like the song also points out, no one leaves for good.  This experience through the woods allowed me to discover people can enjoy my work, regardless of length and amount of links.  I guess to them, I was doing something right. The important part is we all survived and hopefully are richer for the experience.

Thanks again to everyone who allowed me to profile them or allow me access to materials surrounding clubs and especially the commenters.  The perspectives have allowed me to gauge content reactions and improve my writing/storytelling skills.  Without you, this blog could or might have turned into random ramblings that only I and future family will see to mock or enjoy.

What did you think of this first journey through the woods?  What would you like to see more or less of in the future? How has this blog helped your journey through the woods of line on UP's bluff?

3 comments:

  1. I liked how you were able to offer your readers a side of UP that they may not have seen before. I am wondering if you enjoyed seeing this new side of UP and if it has changed your views of the University or not? If so, in what ways? I definitely would have loved to see a post about Relay for Life and Minnesota club, but I am probably biased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are good ideas for next year. I could not get to every club or event this semester, but I think I could check in on the fundraising efforts of Relay every so often and see how Minnesotan culture can thrive in Portland.

    Thanks for the feedback and enjoy the rest of your semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous19/4/11 13:48

    Great recap of the year Steven. It is definitely important to stick to what you wrote and defend it and I think you did a great job of doing so. Interesting way of combining Into the Woods with your blog development and expressing what you learned from both your blog and the show. I'm a big fan of Into the Woods and have to agree with your assessment: it's about not running away from your problems and while you may stray from the path you'll find a way to get back on it. Great work!

    ReplyDelete