Sunday, March 13, 2011

Cheap Food and Jazz Carry Mardi Gras

This last week was the final week of Ordinary Time, and Campus Ministry and the Jazz band continued to amaze with their Mardi Gras activities.

King of the Napkins!
Friend of the blog, Will Lyons covered the Mardi Gras Celebration for the Beacon this week.  He had a good article covering the community's approach, including a block party the previous Saturday on Lombard.  The only error was misquoting Maureen Briare's statement  this was the Jazz band's first year history at the event because I remember one of their conductors, Teige Weidner, having to leave a Hall Mass early in order to play last year. Other than that, the article did have a good analysis of the event. 

Low-priced food in the Commons? This must be a special occasion!
Unlike most nights, the Commons offered non-Grill food beyond 8pm. As the photo shows, those who complain about food prices were pleased for at least a night.  Chicken and waffles, oyster shooters, and biscuits and gravy at around half of their usual prices obviously lead to longer lines.

The Jazz band performed to varying crowd sizes, the norm for late night events, but when I swung by, there were about 20 people taking in the musical stylings.  As shown, the members enjoy their craft, but understand hard work is needed to flourish.  In this video, the band is playing the jazz standard "G'Day Mates," Luckily I had my camera at the ready. Despite some stabilization tactics, the video does have some shaky moments.  The sound should still translate and entertain, so do not worry.


Lent leads to an interesting time on campus.  The Commons has now included meatless options with their usual fare after years of students complaining that the school should not be making everyone subject to meatless Fridays even if they are not Catholic or as devout as their pastoral residents or Bib Trad professors.  Though UP is a Catholic university, allowing students to err on meat abstention or their Lenten promises by still offering chocolate and other temptations is proof Bon Appetit, the parent company operating the Commons, Cove and Anchor,  listen to students and are able to change to meet concerns.  Maybe they can expand their warm food options after 8pm the rest of the week...

Maureen Briare, one of the event coordinators, said she was "giving up complaining and am going to try and do more silent prayer" for Lent. I am going to seek more personal time for reflection and discernment because I have spent plenty of time investgating and helng others. If I can sharpen my own skills, I should be able to better help others.

What do you plan to do for Lent?  If you are not celebrate Lent, what do you wish to improve about yourself?

1 comment:

  1. One day of cheap food at the Commons and I missed it:( I am not religious so no Lent promises for me. I don't really believe in giving something up. I can't stand people who give up candy or dessert for Lent. Jesus died on the cross but you're giving up candy, WOW. I do like the idea of adding something positive to your daily activities, like my teammate is doing. She decided to start volunteering. Now that's cool. I like your Lent promise too. But what I would improve about myself (probably not gonna happen anytime soon, see previous comment about people giving up candy for Lent), is would be to be less critical of others.

    ReplyDelete